Thursday, February 11, 2010

Baby's first cold :(

So, despite diligent hand washing and use of Purell, Nathan has ended up with a mild case of RSV. Yes, dreaded RSV...three initials no parent wants to hear. The joys of a winter baby. However, he is fever free and his chest is completely clear, which are very, very good things when it comes to RSV. His oxygen level was really good (over 90%) at the doctor this morning, so we don't think he'll need anything more than home treatment at this point. He has to put up with us giving him saline up his cute little nose and the occasional nasal aspiration (bulb sucky thing), but he is otherwise doing ok. His cough started on Sunday, so we are a good 4 days in, so the worst should be nearly behind us...fingers crossed. I think his symptoms are bothering us way more than they are bothering him (his occasional smiles help our spirits, for sure!) . We're sure he'll be on the mend soon.

On another note, Nathan is growing fast. He was weighed yesterday at came in at 9 lb 15 oz...yes, he gained a whole pound in 12 days! He also grew 1.25 inches in that time to 22.25". There is generally a growth spurt around 3 weeks old, so he seems on track. Nice work, little man. :)

2 comments:

Aunt Toni said...

Happy to hear about Nathan's growth. Wow, it happens so quickly. He'll be walking by the time I meet him. Darn it. Slow down Nathan.

I'm sorry about his cold. What the heck is RSV? Never heard those initals before (dang I'm old). I'm glad there's no fever. Hate to hear the little ones cough. Is he barking like a dog? Would you believe I NEVER used the yucky sucky bulb? Never. I may have tried once and nothing came out so I decided it wasn't necessary. Oh well.

Hang in there Mom and Dad. Keep smiling Nate Dog. Love you all.

mrs. smith said...

ugh! rsv!?
well the amazing thing is even with a little cold he's growing like a CHAMP! way to go, momma!